Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ramen!

Ramen noodles are a Japanese staple that many Americans are familiar with. In fact, I imagine the first Japanese food many of us eat is ramen. However, if all you have had is cup o noodles dried soup ( a college staple ), I suggest you give a ramen restaurant in Yokosuka a try.


Ramen noodle restaurants are pretty common in Japan, but there is an easy to find one right off of 16 and between the two gates to the Naval Base that is really good. There is a red awning on it and it is found by taking a left from the main gate, across the overpass, and about a half block further. Below, you start at "A", the main gate, and end at "B".


View Larger Map

There are English menus available and if you don't look Japanese you will be offered one. I really recommend getting gyoza as an appetizer. Those are the little dumplings that have pork in them. With a little soy sauce they are heavenly! Also, a small bottle of sake will run about $5 and will add to the enjoyment of your meal.

As for the ramen, there are different types. The Miso ramen is a good one to try your first time. Of course, try the one that interests you most! There is a spicy one too which I recommend.

Your soup bowl will contain a few slices of pork, some scallops, and some mushrooms that are very firm (not like the mushy kind you might be used to). Of course, there are the noodles, too, enough for two people to eat from one bowl. Ramen seems to be the only dish in Japan that can fill up an American with ease. There is also a Japanese spoon to drink broth.

If you're used to having good manners, remember that it is expected that you'll slurp your noodles here. Watch others for a hint.

A quick side note on Japanese ramen: while I've had it many times, I have only had the cheese ramen twice, in Sapporo. Apparently Sapporo (on the northern island, far away from Yokosuka) is known for its cheese, and they have a ramen soup that has a finely crumbled cheese on top. It is the best ramen I've ever had; so good I went back another day for more. While I don't know what kind of cheese it was, I would recommend if you ever have a chance to try to make this at home if you get good ramen take out. The cheese adds a little body and flavor to the broth (which is already yummy) and certainly brings it to the next level. I think freshly grated parmesian would work well.

3 comments:

Sara K said...

Hi, I just found your blog! I'm in town to visit my brother & staying off base. He's out to sea right now, so it's been great to get some ideas for how to forage for myself. Thanks!

Jeff Anderson said...

Great, I hope you enjoy your time there. What ship is he on? I served on the McCain.
Thanks for stopping by.

EmilySullins said...

Hey man, where'd you go? I live in Yokosuka and I need more tips!