Friday, March 20, 2009

Get the Best Sushi NOW


I've already written about the 100 Yen sushi restaurant, Point, which was a favorite haunt of my wife and I. That place is the best deal we could find that would get us both stuffed for under $20.
I'd like to introduce you to the best cut of sushi I've ever eaten, chutoro, which is fatty tuna belly. Right now is the BEST time of the year to get it, as the tuna are fat from the winter cold. While most places will have this, I can personally attest to the quality I've had at the sushi restaurant found on the bottom level of the Yokosuka Chuo train station.

How to find it:
If you're heading southeast on Blue Street, that is, away from the ocean and towards the train station, you will find the sushi restaurant on the east side of the bottom level. You can walk in from the street, and if you turn around you will look across the street at a McDonald's.


View Larger Map

What to order:
You may order it in Japanese: "chutoro, kurasai". Note: you are going to pay a little more for this, probably $4 to $5 a plate (roughly 100 Yen to $1). So, enjoy your chutoro and eat slowly!

When to go:
You'll want to go as soon as possible while it is still in season, and early in the morning (before noon) will ensure a fresh and tasty experience. If you order enough they may begin cutting it just for you, which would be super fresh! Such was my experience.

Be careful! You might get really spoiled...

No comments: